Friday, 7 August 2020

Day 142

Day 142...

So the gravel saga continued today...

As we had been told to ring the company in question after 10am we had a more relaxed start to the day than of late. Not long after 10am Simon picked up the phone and found himself on hold.

While Simon was on hold I did a few household chores but after about 20 minutes and still being on hold I decided to write the company an email to express our unhappiness with the situation and to see whether that would garner any response. I also tweeted them as well...suffice to say neither the email or tweet generated any response whatsoever.

After 50 minutes on hold Simon finally got to speak to an actual person who said that the delivery was due to be with us between 1pm and 5pm. So before heading down to wait yet again we decided to get some jobs done. I had a few bills to pay and my car insurance to renew and Simon wanted to varnish our now completed box/cover construction.

After lunch we headed down to the 'other house' expecting to be hanging about waiting for the gravel to arrive but lo and behold it was sat on the drive waiting for us - hallelujah!

We then had the job of moving it from the front of the house to the back garden; this was a case of Simon filling buckets and carrying them into the back garden for me to then rake into place...oh did I mention it was one of the hottest days of the year today!! I think it was 33 degrees Celsius (91.4 degrees Fahrenheit for my American friends).

But once we had all the gravel moved we realised we needed some more. So we jumped in the car and tried a local garden red gravel but we did get a good deal on some fence paint that we need for our garden!

Back in the car and off to a well known DIY store (after checking online if they had what we wanted). We picked up 8 bags of gravel, a plant for my garden, a set of screwdrivers and a new cordless drill. Simon's drill was starting to play up over the last couple of days and yesterday it tripped the electrics in the house, which wasn't good as Ethan was busy! So we decided to take advantage of being in a DIY store and picked a new one up and anyway Simon has been after a cordless one for ages.

The great thing was that at both the garden centre and the DIY store the vast majority of customers and some of the staff were wearing masks. From Monday it becomes mandatory in shops and other indoor places.

Back to our other house to lay the rest of the gravel and it does look rather smart and hopefully will be easy to look after.
We finally got back home about 6.30pm and Simon gave the new box/storage construction another coat of varnish, this time on the inside and it is now all completed. While Simon was busy I jumped in the shower as I was rather dusty and sweaty!! And then sorted a couple of online admin bits that I hadn't been able to do earlier today.

And at just about 8.30pm Molly arrived home after her week away at her fella's place.

Red wine? Don't mind if I do...another busy day of what has been a very busy and productive week.

Take care out there, keep your distance and wear a mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment