Wednesday 30 March 2022

Day 743

Day 743...

Well the main focus of today has been paperwork; my dad's paperwork to be precise.

I was due to be off work today anyway and so it seemed to lend itself quite nicely to begin sorting through the boxes of paperwork that we had found at my dads. I had thought that my dad was an organised sort of fellow but it would be apparent that over the last few years that has not been the case.

I brought home numerous files, boxes and even a drawer full of 'stuff'. I quickly discovered that not all the paperwork related to my dad as a good portion of it related to his parents who have long since departed this world. But there was also a lot of historical paperwork relating to my dad as well and whilst it captures moments in time I think myself and my brother will need to go through it all in more detail and decide what should or should not be kept.

I did manage to find more up to date and relevant pieces but the 'filing' system left a little to be desired as often things would appear in multiple places. But I've started to pull out some key information so hopefully we can start gathering it all together to see what we are dealing with.

I was also able to go through my dad's address book and make contact with as many people as I could to let them know of his passing. It was a little difficult to figure out who was who and which details were still current so I ended up sending a text out to whatever numbers I could find as it was the simplest and quickest thing to do. There were a few numbers that I did try to call but the numbers were no longer valid. 

My brother has also been using the power of social media to track down relatives that we have lost touch with over the years but that we felt would like to know. We've had to rely on our own memories of names and places and just hope we can find the right people. But so far we have done pretty well and we have had some lovely comments back from people all expressing their sadness at losing such a lovely man.

Later this afternoon I decided to pay another visit to my dad's house to see if we'd missed anything and sure enough I found yet another box file hidden at the back of a drawer! And it turned out this missing box had some of the more relevant stuff that I'd been looking for!

I then had a lovely chat with my good friend and podcast co-host Michelle as we debated whether to record a new show or not this evening. I've been busier today than I'd expected and as we both have lots on for the rest of the week we have agreed to wait until the weekend to see if we both have enough spare time free then.

And I think that has been today and I think we have a new Marvel TV series to watch in Moon Knight!

See you tomorrow.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment