Friday 18 March 2022

Day 731

Day 731...

And we have reached Friday and the end of my working week!

My fourth full day in work in a row...which is not the norm for me! And today I was working with a new member of our team who will be taking over some of the administration type tasks that make up my job.

One thing I am realising, as I pass on my knowledge, is just how eclectic my job can be and how each day is always different from the day before. I may start a day with a plan in mind but this can often get derailed as the day unfurls. But we had a good day today and made steady progress, all ready to get back at it again next week.

Once home, and with coffee poured, I needed to do a little online research ahead of podcast recording. I needed to find some interesting Disney history facts, have a look at the news happening in the Disney parks as well as listen to some music by todays guest Tom Ameen. It was then time to hook up online with my podcast co-host Michelle to record this weekends Disney Dream Girls show. We had a great time chatting and as always Tom was a lovely guest to have on the show and talked passionately about his love for music, and especially Disney music. He has a new album being released on 1st April and Michelle and I have had the privilege of being able to listen to the tracks already.

It was two years ago on the 18th March 2020 that myself and my deputy made the horrible decision to close pre-school because of the Covid outbreak. We were faced with scared parents not knowing whether to send their children to pre-school or not, we had staff worried about what it all meant for their safety, there was panic and scary stuff on the news and we were all simply confused, worried and scared. We took the decision to close one day before our government said that schools would close and for the next 12 weeks we remained closed. As a small charity pre-school, operating out of a shared building that was classified as a 'community room', we could not have opened even if we had wanted to as the emergency laws put into place forbid community rooms from being used by anyone. 

Looking back now I remember how scared and nervous we all felt and how emotional it was to take that decision to close. There were tears as myself and my deputy made the decision but at the same time relief that a decision had been made. We were blessed with very supportive parents who even bought us gifts of wine and chocolate as we embarked on a very surreal few months. We could not have envisaged that two years later we would still be dealing with the effects of the 'pandemic', that it would have been drawn out for as long as it has despite science saying otherwise. 

Two years on and I am even more sceptical and challenging of anything that the 'main stream media' are want to tell us. After two years of being fed mistruths I find myself extremely cynical and distrusting and now seek greater information and question what we are being told. I no longer watch the standard news channels but instead prefer to use the internet to discover differing viewpoints in an attempt to uncover a more balanced view and hopefully one closer to the actual truth. I will confess that I don't like what these past two years have done to our lives; the questioning of those in power, the distrust of those supposed to be looking out for us, the lack of accountability of those in charge and the feeling that life will never be quite what it was two years ago. 

But onwards and upwards we must go. We are fortunate living in England that most of our restrictions have been lifted and we are able to go about our lives pretty much as we used to. But there are still a few that remain so fingers crossed we can get everything back to normal sooner rather than later.

Happy weekend, I will see you tomorrow.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment