Tuesday 29 March 2022

Day 742

Day 742...

As you can imagine the last few days have been a bit busy and at times a bit of a blur, so let's see where we are.

Let's start with something positive...over the weekend I received a very special parcel from my favourtie band White Lies. Well to be more precise it was from their newly created 'Official Fan Club' of which I am now a member, and as a member I received an official fan club t-shirt and pin badge. But I also received a very special signed photograph which was produced for just the first fifty people to sign up to the fan club and I received number 35!!

On Sunday here in the UK it was Mother's Day and my two amazing 'kids' did themselves proud, they even brought a little tear to my eye. Even with Molly living away from home they had coordinated their efforts and did very well...

...a box of 12 Milky Way Midnight edition; these are a US chocolate bar but probably my favourite guilty indulgence, although I think these will last me a good amount of time!
A Disney colouring book to help me create a little chill out time...and talking of time...
...a Mickey shaped wall clock for our new study/craft room. I was one very lucky lady to received these goodies.

Yesterday things were a little more sombre as myself, Simon, my brother and his wife spent the day together at my dad's house. We had a lot of cleaning to do; my dad had not kept the house as clean as he could have and despite numerous offers of help from both myself and my brother he had been adamant that he 'was on top of it' but evidently he had not been. Plus following the circumstances of his death there was a lot of extra, and not very pleasant, clean up to contend with.

We spent almost the full day there trying to get everywhere as clean as we could as we know that we will have to be spending an amount of time there over the next few weeks and wanted to make it as pleasant a place to be as possible. My brother and I also got distracted going through belongings and items from our past as well as looking for any relevant paperwork that could help us with sorting my dad's estate.

I had thought my dad was a pretty organised sort of guy but having brought home a ton of paperwork it would appear that his organisational skills may have gone downhill in the last few years. Plus it would appear that he liked to hold onto stuff and I think we will find there is a lot of 'stuff' that is no longer relevant and we will then need to decide what actually needs to be kept and whether there is anything we'd like to keep for sentimental reasons. For example we have already found a telegram that my dad received for his birthday in 1944 from his dad who was serving in the army at the time!

During the course of the afternoon I received a call from the coroners office as unfortunately there will need to be a post mortem which will take place later this week and will determine whether an inquest will be needed. Today I received a phone call from our chosen funeral home and we have an appointment next week to discuss how we wish to proceed forward.

After a full day at my dad's house we went home for a coffee before deciding to head to our local Ikea with our plan for our new 'study/craft' room. We had chosen a combination of kitchen cabinets and work surface to build a storage and working area and wanted to know whether what we had planned was actually doable. Suffice to say we came away with the majority of the cabinets and the remainder along with the work surface being delivered later this week.

Fast forward to today and I had a full day in work as we continue to work our way through different aspects of my job as it gets handed over to my deputy. We are still working towards my last day at work being in late May but are very aware there is still lots to go through.

On my way home from work I called in to see a close friend of my mum and dad to let them know about my dad although it turned out they had already heard. But we spent some time chatting about both my mum and dad and catching up with each other's lives. Once home I started the process of going through some of my dad's paperwork with my main aim being to find the names of people I need to contact to let them know what's happened. I have a few names that I recognise so I think tomorrow may be a day of phone calls.

With that the day was rounded out with a quick gym session before stopping for the day.

See you tomorrow,
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment