Monday 13 December 2021

Day 635 - New Car Monday!

Day 635...

Yes the day has finally arrived when we could take delivery of our new car, our new electric car!

But as we didn't know at what point today the car would arrive we nipped out first thing to our local Lidl to collect a few things. A quick weekly shop to pick up those items that are significantly cheaper than at Asda (where I get my main shop from) along with some bits for our 'fuddle' at work. We have one more week at work before we break for Christmas so we have decided to have a 'fuddle'; this is where we all throw in together and buy some nibbles. We have everything from chips and dips to crackers and cheese to bacon and brie and cheesy-beans jacket potatoes! (although I'll be giving some of the more 'carby' options a miss!).

Back home and it was time to cancel our old car insurances which we were able to do through the power of WhatsApp! I also ordered myself a replacement driving licence as my paper version had finally bit the dust and was no longer in one piece!

Just before lunch our new car arrived! Lots to learn and lots to get used to as we move from always having driven manual, petrol cars to fully electric and therefore an automatic. I think it's the automatic format that is freaking me out more than the electric side of things as I've never driven an automatic before. When we've had hire cars in the US they have always been automatic but Simon has always done the driving so this is a complete first for me!

We had a little time with the chap from the garage to go over a few bits and pieces and we were able to connect the car to our new charging station which worked perfectly...thankfully!

So later this afternoon we took a drive over to Derby as I had an appointment and it gave us a good excuse to take the car out. Simon drove us and we were both super impressed; a very smooth and very responsive car to drive. There are lots of cool features as well but I think it may take us a while to get our heads around everything. On our way home we stopped by my dad's house to show him the car before I had my first go at driving it! 

It is very strange not having to do anything with my left foot and left arm! Although I did find it easier than I think I was expecting but I am sure over the next few days I will have up and down moments with it. I'm hoping that as I drive the car most days of the week I will pick it all up relatively quickly.

One feature I have started to play with is the ability to set the climate control of the car from an app. This means that (if I've done it right) I should be able to get into the car each morning and find it nice and warm and ready to go. No more getting into a cold car on a winter's morning.

And despite all the excitement of the new car Simon has also been able to upgrade the lighting effects on his R2D2 and we have both found the time to jump on our new exercise bike. It was the first time on the bike for me and I wasn't expecting great things...I like moving weights around but am not too fond of any exercise that gets me out of breath! But with the bike we are aiming to workout at 'Zone 2' which is supposed to be good for heart health as well as good for fat burning, and I was actually rather happy with my effort. I managed to maintain the heart rate I wanted and stuck at it for 30 minutes...it will be interesting to see how my legs and bum feel tomorrow!

Right that's it for today, see you tomorrow.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment