Friday 15 July 2022

Day 847 & Day 848

Day 847...Thursday

And once more we were up and about heading off over the fields for our early morning walk of 1.9 miles in 38 minutes. Tuesday to Friday we tend to stick to a shorter walk so that we are home in time for Simon to start work.

My first task of the day was to head down to Lidl and re-stock on a few fresh items. Once I was home and everything put away I decided to have a weights workout.

Ordinarily our workouts tend to fall at the end of the day but with Simon still unable to use the weights I decided to try my workout earlier in the day. I was interested to see how I found it as we are now intermittent fasting and not having our first meal of the day until lunchtime. I'd tried a few weeks back to have a small session after our morning walk but I didn't feel great doing it and ended up cutting it short. But today the workout fell around 11am and actually worked pretty well. I was really pleased with how I felt and was able to get all the sets in that I would have normally done at the end of the day. And because our gym is in the garage, and because we haven't been using it as often as we would do normally, I also had to contend with a fair few spiders and so ended up hoovering in between sets!!

After lunch I had some paperwork to file, some emails to respond to and postage to buy. While clearing out my dads house I'd come across a souvenir brochure to mark the opening of the Captain Cook Birthplace Museum at Stewart Park in Middlesbrough. The brochure was stamped 1978 and I think must have belonged to my grandma. My family originates from Middlesbrough and I spent lots of my childhood visiting the area and have memories of visiting Stewart Park and a vague memory of visiting the museum (although I suspect as a child I was probably not very interested in a museum about an explorer!). Anyway I had emailed the museum to see whether or not it was something they would like for their records. It turned out that they did not have a copy of the brochure and would be very grateful if I would like to donate it, which I have dutifully done. It was a lovely keepsake that would have meant a lot to my grandma but now needs to be somewhere where it will be appreciated.

Then in a moment of madness I decided to do a little gardening...I know what was I thinking?! Although to be fair my idea of gardening was to wash down the garden furniture as it was looking a tad dirty and then to chop back a bit more of the pineapple broom plant that each year seems to takeover one corner of our garden. It is a lovely plant but needs to be kept under control!

At the end of the day we had a local electrician visit to give us a quote for a few jobs that we need doing. I'd been holding out for a friend's partner to visit but he was proving to be rather elusive to track down and so on our morning walks we'd seen a company hard at work at one of our neighbours property. I liked the fact that they were working at 8am, looked smart and had vans well equipped with all the necessary electrical stuff...so I dropped them an email. They responded that day and were able to pop out this evening to have a look and see whether they could help us out. We now await their quote.

Day 848...Friday

It was a little cooler this morning which was rather pleasant and we got another 1.9 miles in 38 minutes done before 8.45am.

I had no real plans for the day and so wasn't sure what was in store for me. I had a couple of household tasks that I wanted to get done and those seemed to lead into the format of the day.

I hoovered through, I dusted, I put on three lots of laundry, I stopped for coffee (obviously), I made lists of things I need to sort and look-up and then I decided to write a shopping list which had a bigger effect than I'd intended.

Upon looking in cupboards to see what needed to be added to the list I inadvertently had a bit of a clear out. I decided that the first cupboard I opened needed sorting, so I pulled everything out which meant that the cupboard now needed cleaning. I then decided to put everything back differently and move things around...the knock-on effect of this was that the majority of my day was then spent emptying, cleaning and re-organising cupboards...five of them to be exact! It wasn't what I'd intended to do today but I felt very accomplished by the end of it all.

And I think this is what I am discovering now that I am no longer working. I'm not having to fit jobs in around my working hours when I didn't have the energy or the desire to do them, now I can simply do things as and when I feel like it and because I'm in the mood to do them. I can split my day into chunks of time so that I get to do a mix of things or not...I can do what I want, when I want and how I want and it is so refreshing and freeing. 

And in that vain I spent the end of my day in the garden, with a coffee, soaking up the sunshine that had been a little elusive until later this afternoon.

See you tomorrow.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment