Monday 8 June 2015

One Year On...

Well this time a year ago I decided to take up a challenge for 90 days to see if I could lose some weight, get toned but more importantly eat healthier.

My target was to lose about 12lbs in weight in 90 days; starting at 10st 5lbs (145lbs) I wanted to get down to about 9st 7lbs (133lbs). So how did I do and more importantly how am I doing now?

Well if you've read my previous posts on this blog, or read the page entitled 'Getting Real' you will have a pretty good idea of the outcome. But for those of you who haven't let me give you a quick run down of what I've achieved over the last year and how I've done it.

So after seeing an inspirational film called 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' and a chance conversation with my daughters karate instructor I signed up for a locally run scheme called 'Get Real Fat Loss'. This wasn't a diet, or a weight loss gimmick but rather a new approach to eating and exercise and making it all about a lifestyle choice. Everyone on the challenge was treated as an individual, with daily goals set for your intake of calories, fat, carbohydrates and proteins.

The big difference to my food intake at the time (which I thought was pretty ok!) was a big reduction in the amount of carbohydrates I was eating; this meant cutting out those high sugar, starchy foods - bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereals etc. And while it was a little tricky to get used to at first I soon found myself adapting to it and just getting on with it. In fact I wasn't really missing what had up until then been regular items in my day-to-day foods, and when I saw the pounds disappearing too I knew it was all worth it.

Now it wasn't just a change to the way I was eating that took place it was also a change to my exercise routine. Not a lover of exercise I had attempted to do some running and although this had been a bit hit and miss I had managed to keep plugging away at it. But now I stopped running and instead concentrated on core body-weight exercises twice a day; a combination of things like squats, planks, lunges, press-ups etc.

Then by about day 56 I found that I had reached my target of 9st 7lbs (133lbs). I was determined to see it through to the end of the 90 days to see just exactly what I could achieve. Besides I was loving the new me so much and I was determined to keep me that way!

By the time I reached day 90 I weighed in at 9st 0.4lbs (126.4lbs) a total loss of 18.6lbs. I had also managed to lose 6cm from my thighs and waist, 6.5cm from my bust and 7cm from my hips. I was thrilled with the results but also found that this new way of eating and exercising was now just the 'norm'. So I signed up for the 'Lifestyle' section of the 'Get Real Fat Loss' program which aimed to help keep me 'on track' as well as to offer support, advice and guidance.

Around the middle of November last year I had reached a weight of 8st 6.4lbs (118.4lbs), losing a further 1.5cm from my thighs, 2 cm from my bust and 4 cm from my hips. Since then my weight and measurements have remained constant; I have been able to maintain this weight for 7 months!!

So one year on and I have lost approximately 28lbs in weight and 7.5cm from my thighs, 8.5cm from my bust and 11cm from my hips!!

Now for the scary bit...the photos!!! I have worn the exact same set of clothes in each photo, and tried to take them in the same position each time. These have not been 'touched up' or altered, they are exactly as you see them here.
9th June 2014
6th September 2014 - Day 90

7th June 2015 - 1 Year On
Posing - just because I can ;)
This is not a diet, this is a lifestyle, this is the new and improved me! I shall not be going back to my old ways of eating I shall be staying focused and eating what I now know to be the right foods to keep my weight constant and more importantly, keep me healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment